If you haven’t already done so, now is the time to store outdoor cushions over Winter. As a result you will have clean, bright cushions for when the weather warms up again.
Properly cleaning and ways to store outdoor cushions helps them stay looking like new for longer. Cushions collect dust and debris as a result of being outside so need to be cleaned. Mould and mildew needs to be removed so it does not spread. All cushions and covers should be thoroughly dried before being stored away.
Here are some tips to follow when looking after outdoor cushions.
- Vacuum dust and debris from your covers – Before washing your covers, a good vacuum will help remove dust/debris from your covers so it won’t settle into the fabric as stains.
- Remove covers and either wash by hand or if fabric allows machine wash – check with the manufacturers in regards to whether the fabrics are machine washable. For instance, our polyester fabrics are NOT machine washable, however our 100% Solution Dyed Olefin and Acrylic are.
- Use a non-abrasive detergent either for hand or machine and a gentle cycle if in the machine.
- Ensure you rinse covers thoroughly, as a result all soap mixture will be removed from the covers, and all accumulated dirt and debris is washed away.
- Dry cushions thoroughly in an open area out of direct sunlight. Cushions must be thoroughly dried before storage thus helping prevent mould. You may want to put cushions in direct sunlight, however we don’t recommend it as it may lead to sun damage and fading.
The cushions can be stored in a number of ways. Depending on your budget, how much space you have or personal taste. As a result we have tried to find something for everyone, for instance:
- a. Waterproof/Weatherproof Plastic Storage Bins – with many different sizes and shapes, you can even match your outdoor furniture, therefore blending with the décor.
- b. Waterproof Storage Bags – these are great if you don’t have many cushions or very large cushions.
- c. Move cushions to an enclosed dry area – once you have selected how you are going to cover your cushions, place your cushions in your garage, attic or somewhere similar. Check for water or damp beforehand or you will be faced with mould-stained cushions come Spring.
- d. Ideally if you have the space the best place to store cushions over the Winter months is indoors. If you live in an area of high humidity ideally you should look at keeping cushions in a climate-controlled environment. Using packaged desiccant also helps remove moisture from air in plastic bags.
Once the weather warms up and you are ready to entertain and enjoy outside living, you will have cushions looking clean and fresh ready to go. A little effort now will pay off later, preparing your outdoor seat cushions for winter storage will extend their life and make yours so much easier come Spring.